Young Academics Award 2024
In collaboration with ISCAR
Research and innovation are key elements for promoting sustainable development in the Alps. Young academics play a crucial role in this, helping to shape the future of the Alps. The Permanent Secretariat of the Alpine Convention recognises this role by awarding outstanding master theses carried out on relevant Alpine topics. This biennial prize is regularly supported by the Presidency of the Alpine Convention, the Permanent Secretariat, and the Infopoints of the Alpine Convention and is carried out in collaboration with the International Scientific Committee on Research in the Alps, ISCAR.
RESPONDING TO ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES AND MAINTAINING HIGH QUALITY OF LIFE IN THE ALPS
This edition of the Alpine Convention Young Academics Award focuses on the issue of “Responding to environmental changes and maintaining high quality of life in the Alps” and in particular on these related sub-topics:
Climate action and biodiversity protection through nature-based solutions (NBS):
- adaptation and mitigation measures in urban areas (urban water management, greening of settlements, urban heat island prevention, etc.)
- restoration (and protection) of ecosystems and habitats and biodiversity loss prevention
- management of landscape characteristics important for biodiversity and ecological connectivity
- soil protection, sustainable management and use of soil
- NBS for natural hazard risk reduction
- NBS for sustainable management of forests, agricultural land, and water
Governance for resilient communities in light of environmental change (at different levels of governance): quality of life aspects in mitigation and adaptation policies, cross-sectoral approaches (knowledge development, practical implementation, participatory processes, awareness raising, sustainability of lifestyles/behaviour)
Socio-economic aspects of environmental change adaptation and mitigation: cross-sectoral approaches, balancing adaptation and mitigation measures with environmental measures and the economy.
All applicants must complete the application form and submit the required documentation by 31 July 2024.